Friday, August 15, 2008

My bento lunch at Tanabe, Mall of Asia

After a month and a half of moratorium on spending, I decided to reward myself with a decent lunch. But after eating healthy food, I decided I will choose my food incentive wisely.

So I clicked off my computer monitor and decided to walk up an appetite and head towards the expansive Mall of Asia walkway. I headed towards Tanabe, which I have not revisited since my first day of work. Not because I did not like the food but because I still have my quota of restaurants to choose from to the detriment of my waistline and possible major dent in my pocket.

I entered the resto and was greeted the usual Japanese greeting. Since I am eating solo, I decided to seat myself at the sushi bar. The place was decently occupied with mostly Japanese nationals (A good indication of an authentic Japanese cuisine, if the Japanese eat there too) and some smatterings of other foreign guest. Most of them are seated outside, basking in the warmth of the afternoon sun and the impressive view of the Manila Bay.

Once I am seated I felt an unusual serenity. It must be due to the Zen interiors of the restaurant and the quite unobtrusive background music. I was resolved in ordering my regular salmon sashimi and tempura but when the waitress handed me the menu I felt suddenly woozy with so many choices. I finally opted for a bento box choice of California Maki with Tempura, Php 480.00 a little hefty for lunch but hey, this is my food splurge and still within my budget for lunch.

I’m glad I choose to sit at the bar, I get easily bored and while waiting for my food I get to watch the two sushi chef create magic with their knives. It's like watching my favorite food network show but with the added bonus of quizzing the chef while they work. Fortunately, there were no thumbs lost while I distract their attention by my endless queries while engaging with the task of dicing sashimi with surgical precision. I was delightfully entertained up until my meal was presented to me in not a boring square bento box. But in a delicately beautiful clover leaf setting. I immediately took a picture of my lunch so that I can include it in my blog.

Wow is not a complete word to describe my food. They should have warned me that a bento box is good for three servings if you are eating light or two if you are moderately hungry. I immediately regretted eating the appetizer earlier.

My stomach needs to readjust itself so that I can tackle this Herculean task of eating my bento order. I first sampled the California maki; this was really one big mouthful with the sweet flavors of mango bursting in my palate enhanced by the salty crunch of fish roe and with the wasabe giving me an instant zing straight to my sinus gland. Mmmm uhm, more to go. The next one I tried is the mixed tempura it was lightly battered to my absolute delight the shrimp is large and succulent unlike those served by other pseudo Japanese resto which was a limp sorry excuse for a crustacean. There are more food in the box but my favorite is the sinfully bacon wrapped tender asparagus tips rolled into a sushi. A mouthwatering concoction if only I know how much calories that will cost me. But I remember there is veggie within so I guest it lessens the guilt on my part.

Needless to say I was able to polish off my bento. I shake my head with the enormous amount of food I consumed but I still have a long walk back to the office to burn my food incentive. Tanabe serves excellent food the price is reasonable for the quantity and the freshness of food they serve. May I also add that the staff is polite and very accommodating. I can say that is money well spent. Wait for my next epicurean adventure at the Mall of Asia

No comments: